Information about teenager fitness, nutrition and the psychology of it all written by a wacky homeschooled highschool student.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

PTS: Post Thanksgiving Syndrome

I never make time for the things I don’t have time for. Blogging is one of those things. Right now I really should be doing Anatomy.

So, last Thursday was Thanksgiving. You know what? I’m an impossible case of atrocious eating. I had a large lunch Thursday, pigged out Thursday night on junk food, ate ANOTHER lunch Friday, went out to an Italian restaurant Saturday and had a barbeque on Sunday (all the while drinking copious amounts of Mountain Dew, as well as reading and watching TV to no end). And you would think that after all that I would completely turned off to anything but fruits, vegetables and faux crab meat.

Not so.

I started a "food journal" today. I've had breakfast, midmorning snack, lunch, after-swim practice snack, and an afternoon snack closely following the after-swim practice snack. And who knows what I'll eat for dinner.

I’ve been exercising obsessively (as well as going back to swim practice-finally), and slowly my body is reassuming its pre-Thanksgiving-break shape. Maybe by Saturday.

Oh, you all will be happy to know I have FINALLY devised a running program that WORKS. First of all, it’s jogging, not running. Secondly, I’m doing it for time, not distance. I’ll jog around my yard for 20 minutes at eight in the morning (on days I don’t swim). It’s short enough for me to stick through and long enough for me to feel slightly "miserable" afterwards. I went out and bought one of those new iPod Shuffles (note: it’s trademarked by iPod. Too bad about the product placement. I could make a lot of money if more people read this). Anyway, it’s nice because I can clip it to whatever I’m wearing and then jog to “Dead Man (Carry me)” by Jars of Clay all the time, since I am established as overly obsessed with that song now. But I have a longer playlist than that, trust me. The music distracts me enough (from the pain) and it allows me to get into a rhythm. Basically it’s my answer to jogging on a treadmill in front of the TV.

However, I think I would rather jog on a treadmill in front of the TV, because then I could avoid puzzled looks from my neighbors. Or at least avoid the knowledge that they are probably looking on in wonder and talking about how weird I am.

Anyway, that’s all I feel like saying now. I’ll keep updating you on some more exercises as well as my journey to look like a Jessica again, instead of a big fluffy cloud in future entries.

So long, my oiled fins!
~Jessica

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,

It's kinda funny that you started running after Thanksgiving! I did too! Music really helps not to think about the "pain." I've even been finding running enjoyable! You're not alone in running in your back yard a zillion times - I do too! And counting time instead of counting the miles is definitely better for me too.

See ya,
Elayna

November 30, 2006 5:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home